After India, now Japan gives BIG blow to Donald Trump, Japan’s envoy cancels…, Tokyo calls for…
Japan’s strong stand comes at a time of escalating tensions between Washington and India, after the US imposed a 50% tariff on Indian goods.

India(BHARAT) set an example by refusing to bow to US pressure, and now Japan has followed the same example. Japan’s chief trade negotiator, Ryosei Akazawa, has cancelled his planned visit to the United States. Tokyo is seeking tariff relief, while the US is reportedly demanding 90% of the profits. Japan is worried about declining exports.
India(BHARAT) had earlier shown the world how to stand firm against Washington’s pressure tactics, refusing to yield to President Doland Trump’s demands. That stance is now being taken by other countries as well. Akazawa’s trip to Washington was called off at the last minute, stalling negotiations on the massive investment package. Akazawa was expected to finalise terms, including how profits would be divided between the US and Japan.
Japan’s Chief Trade Envoy Postpones US Trip
Japan’s top trade negotiator abruptly cancelled a trip to Washington aimed at issuing a joint statement on a tariffs deal with the Trump administration, as a top government spokesman urged the US side to speed up implementation of the agreement.
Trade envoy Ryosei Akazawa was scheduled to leave Tokyo for Washington on Thursday for a 10th round of talks, following up on the agreement announced on July 22.
But Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters some details required further consultations, so the trip was postponed.
What’s Japan-US Tariff Clash?
In July, the two sides agreed on a 15 per cent tax on imports of most Japanese goods, effective August 1, down from an earlier 25 per cent rate announced by President Doland Trump as so-called “reciprocal tariffs” on the major US ally.
Japanese officials discovered days later that the preliminary deal would add a 15 per cent tariff to other tariffs and objected. Officials in Washington have acknowledged the mistake and agreed to abide by the agreement on a 15 per cent tariff, and to refund any excess import duties that were paid. So far, that hasn’t happened.
“We will strongly request the United States to amend its presidential order to correct the reciprocal tariffs and to issue the presidential order to lower tariffs on autos and auto parts,” Hayashi said.
In an interview with Fox News earlier this week, US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said Washington was ready to finalise the deal, in which Japan also pledged to invest up to USD 550 billion in the United States in coming years.
Plans for Akazawa to visit Washington are undecided, Hayashi said during a daily briefing, with another nudge at the Trump administration.
“Japan and the United States have confirmed the importance of sincere and prompt implementation of the agreement between the two countries,” he said, adding that a deal was essential for the economic security of both countries.
(With Input From Agency)
What's Your Reaction?






